Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Miracle on Grass hits the MLB Radio airwaves

So far, in the first three days I've been here at Spring Training in Arizona, I've had an opportunity to be a guest on five MLB Teams' pre-game radio shows. My book Miracle on Grass has been getting quite a bit of attention, because this is the optimal time for the baseball world to be discussing the game on an international level, with the 3rd installment of the World Baseball Classic upon us. The first round of those games in Pool D, between the USA, Canada, Mexico and Italy, starts tomorrow. Team USA faces Mexico Friday night at Chase Field, Italy Saturday night, and Canada on Sunday.

Tonight, I am here at the Team USA exhibition game at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale, the Cactus League home of the Diamondbacks and Rockies. It's also where they play some games during the Arizona Fall League, which I was once (1994-95) or twice (1998) the Director of Communications for. What a great facility. Very nice. Here's what the ballpark looks like, as it gets set to host the opener between Italy and Mexico tomorrow afternoon.


Tonight, I was a guest on the Rockies pre-game show on 850 KMO Radio in Denver, with Colorado radio announcer Jerry Schemmel.


During the Royals and Diamondbacks Game here at Salt River earlier today, I sat in with Royals announcer Steve Stewart during the 6th inning of his live broadcast of the Royals 8-1 victory, and discussed the book with him on the air. I hope the fans in Kansas City enjoyed my commentary! KC has won 11 games without a loss so far this spring....pretty impressive.


This afternoon, I recorded an extensive interview with the producer of the Cincinnati Reds' radio show David Armbruster, at their stadium in Goodyear, AZ. That interview will be aired in pieces over the next week or so, on Reds' radio broadcasts. It may even be used in the regular season.


Yesterday, I had the good fortune of catching up with an old friend from my Arizona days, when I worked for the triple-A Phoenix Firebirds (this was before the Diamondbacks even existed). One of their radio announcers is Jeff Munn, who I knew from back in the day. He and I talked about the book, and he recorded an interview that he will use in the coming days on the D'Backs airwaves. I did not get a picture with him.

But I did get a photo with Cleveland Indians radio announcer Jim Rosenhaus, who I sat down with yesterday at Scottsdale Stadium (the first baseball stadium I ever worked at, and where I got my start in the game of baseball.) I went on the air during the 4th inning of the Indians 4-3 win over my beloved Giants, and that was a great chance to bring my story to Cleveland fans on their radio network.


Finally, Here I am at Scottsdale Stadium, proudly standing next to the two logos of the Giants' recent 2012 and 2010 World Championships!


David Fanucchi is the author of “Miracle on Grass” - How Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda led Team USA to a shocking upset over Cuba, capturing the only Olympic gold medal in USA Baseball history. He was the official Team USA Press Officer for both the 2000 USA Baseball Olympic Team and the 2006 USA World Baseball Classic Team. More information about Fanucchi and Miracle on Grass can be found on his website at www.davidfanucchi.com.  You can follow him on Twitter at @miracleongrass.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment